Friday, November 15, 2013

Farm House Friday: Tomatoes, Tomatoes & Tomatoes, Oh My!

I've been doing a little summer reminiscing.  Don't get me wrong, I am a winter girl through and through.  I love winter and everything that comes with it, snow, snow skiing, snow board, snow sledding, Christmas, winter boots, winter clothes, cozy fires, my list can go on and on.  However, I wanted to share our summer garden harvest.  I've been thinking a lot about gardens because we are planning our new house and that is one of the things I am most excited for, to feed my family from the garden. This garden season was amazing. Just the right amount of rain at the right time and the garden flourished.   



The love I have for an Edible Garden is infinite!

This summer we were unable to plant our own garden, but we reaped the benefits of my Mother-In-Laws garden.  It is amazing. The amount of fresh produce taken everyday from the garden is beyond belief.  This years yield has been larger than years past, due to all the spring rain.  Even the dog was excited!


My Mother-In-Law sent me a picture the other day.  In just one day she picked enough tomatoes to Can 8 quarts and make 18 pints of salsa.  


So what to do with all those tomatoes?   Canning provides fresh tomatoes all year.  But, what we like most is fresh salsa and I came up with my own recipe.  I was inspired by the traditional Mexican Pico de Gallo.  It's basic, easy, versatile and only requires a little chopping (no cooking).  It also freezes well. 

Here is what I do:
  • Dice 7-8 fresh tomatoes 
  • Finely dice half (1/2) of an onion (I prefer the red sweet onion, but you can use white or yellow as well)
  • Finely chop a large fist full of cilantro
  • Dice 3-4 peppers (can use bell peppers or banana pepper, whatever you have fresh in your garden works)
  • If you want to add some heat...dice 2-3 jalapeƱo peppers.  (If you leave the seeds and pith the salsa will be more hot.)
  • Combine the tomato, onion and peppers.  Juice two limes over the mix and add cilantro and 1 teaspoon of garlic (optional).  Add salt and pepper to taste and you are done!

The longer the salsa sits the better it tastes!

I look forward to our farm house and planting an Organic Edible Garden.  A place I will love to walk through and enjoy cooking from.  


Happy Friday!





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment