Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Wheat Belly: Days 6-10

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!  I must give myself a pat on the back for sticking with it through the first weekend.  Often our weekends include a meal out with friends and a few other indulgences.  But, I did not give in and I feel so amazing!  I even shared my challenge with a friend who is excited and intrigued by the idea.

Also, I want to admit that I went to Panera Bread Co., a nightmare for people with celiacs, gluten sensitivities and me who has cut gluten/wheat out of their diet.   So you might ask what on earth would possess you to tempt fate and walk into a place with such yummy smells and delicious looking meals?  The answer is Colton. Colton is the 14 month old I nanny. Occasionally I take him for a treat to Panera before our weekly, Wednesday toddler class.  Last week, on Friday, we did not have class, but we were by Panera, returning a few things, and he wanted a pumpkin muffie and he devoured it.  I, proud to say, did not even have one teensy weensy taste!  Go me!

Like I said I started the weekend off well and ended it well.  The tomato soup was amazing on Friday night.  And the fresh gluten/wheat free bread was also divine. We made grilled cheese to go with the tomato soup and the left over bread we all devoured the next day at breakfast.  To end the weekend I prepared another sandwich meal, these have become our favorites.  This time it was steak, arugula, roasted red peppers with home made horseradish sauce on foccacia.   It did not disappoint!  And this time there was enough for left overs.

Home Made Creamy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

I am feeling amazing and I have even lost some weight.  Awesome to be feeling so well only after one week.  How many other diets or changes can you say make you feel that well that quick?  It only gets better from here.  I am sleeping better and have more energy and motivation than I have had in a long time.  Best of all my entire family is feeling this way and they have started to share it with others as well.

Remember how I said that following a gluten/wheat free lifestyle did not mean that all the food you would eat from here on out would taste like cardboard? Or that you had to give up all pastries, breads, and yummy desserts?  Well, I have backed it up now with the delicious bread we have had.  And now I want to tell you that this weekend I did a lot of baking and dessert making.  All of which were a big hit.

Saturday morning I made fresh home made pumpkin muffins.  Delicious!  Then Sunday evening we had home made chocolate mouse with whipped cream and raspberries.  You will never guess what the main ingredient in the chocolate mouse is?  Tofu Shhhhhh! Don't tell because no one will believe me, but it's true.  I would have never known if I hadn't made it myself.

On Monday I decided I wanted to try the chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Reason one...Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner and I want to enjoy a few sweets.  Reason two...I wanted to see how kid friendly these recipes truly are.  I don't have kids of my own to try it out with so I made chocolate chip cookies for the children I nanny.  (but didn't tell them what was in the  cookies until after they ate them)  Staying in sync with all the other yummy recipes, the chocolate chip cookies were a big hit and to top it off healthier than anything you could buy at the store!

That wraps up the first week of my challenge!  Please message or email if you have any question I can answer about my journey or the wheat/gluten free lifestyle.  Also, I'd love your feedback.

Happy Eating and stay warm! (it's really cold here in Columbia, MO)

xoxo,

Alissa

P.S  Tonight's menu: Cod and thai noodle salad!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment